As part of the ongoing Benning Road and Bridges Transportation Improvements Environmental Assessment (EA), the District Department of Transportation (DDOT) has initiated a preliminary design project aimed at improving the Benning Road corridor to safely and efficiently accommodate all modes of transportation. The Benning Road Reconstruction and Streetcar Project will improve safety conditions and operations, address deficiencies in infrastructure, and provide additional transit options in Ward 7 and Ward 5 and along the approximately two miles of Benning Road NE from Oklahoma Avenue NE to East Capitol Street. This includes:
- Enhancing safety and operations along the corridor and at key intersections
- Improving transportation infrastructure conditions
- Rehabilitating roadways and bridges that cross the Anacostia River, DC-295, and CSX freight rail tracks
- Enhancing and installing pedestrian and bicycle facilities
- Extending streetcar transit service to the Benning Road Metrorail station on a center-running alignment
Community needs, preferences, and input voiced during past studies—including the DC Transit Future System Plan, DDOT Benning Road Streetcar Extension Study, and Benning Road Corridor Redevelopment Framework Plan and EA—will help shape and inform the project to improve access, operations, and safety for all users along the Benning Road corridor. Public involvement will be continuous throughout this next phase of the project, which seeks to connect Ward 7 and Ward 5 neighborhoods to employment, activity centers, the regional Metrorail system, and multimodal transportation services at Union Station.